Sunday, May 15, 2011

Breakthrough

This is a work of fiction. No real people, places or events were used. Copyright ã 2011 Plot Roach.

Breakthrough

By Plot Roach

“Joe is here for his appointment, Doctor.” chimed a voice from the intercom.

“Send him in Charlene.” Dr. Caskins said, setting a new tape into the recorder and pressing record before Joe could walk in through the door.

The man poked his head through the doorway, scanning every angle and possible hiding area before he entered and closed the door behind him. He continued to search the room for occupants other than himself and the doctor before settling down into the chair across from Doctor Caskins. “Are you comfortable now, Joe?” the doctor asked.

“As much as I can be in this place.” Joe responded.

“I told you that this is a secure facility, Joe. No one can get into this room without using that door. There are no windows, and the air duct is too small for an assassin to get through.”

“Not for a trained monkey or a robot, though.”

“I assure you, Joe. We are utterly safe here. Are you ready to begin your session?”

“Go on, doc.”

Doctor Caskins sighed, opened the folder in front of her and took a sip of her coffee before beginning. “In our last session, it looked like this military lifestyle you had chosen for yourself had begun somewhere in early childhood. With influence from your father, correct?”

“Yes, Ma’am -um, doctor.”

“Would you feel up to a regressive meditation where we would mentally revisit your childhood?”

“If you think it will help.”

The doctor nodded, clasping her hands in front of her on the desk. “I want you to get comfortable in your chair. Breathe deeply and focus on the sound of my voice. With each breath you are going to feel the weight of the world slipping away from your shoulders. All the stress of your life will leave you and on the count of three, we will be back in your childhood. Back to the time where your father influenced a major change in your life. One… two… three…”

Joe’s eyes were closed and his breathing was deep and regular. The doctor was almost afraid he had gone to sleep on her. “What are you seeing, Joe?”

“I’m in my room, on the floor and playing with some stuffed animals.”

“How old are you, Joe?”

“Six and a half.”

“What’s happening?”

“Dad came into my room. He’s yelling and he smells.”

“What does he smell like, Joe?”

“That bad stuff he drinks.”

“What bad stuff?”

“That stuff that grown ups drink, but smells and tastes awful.”

“Have you tried it before, Joe?”

“Yeah. Dad gave me some once and told me that it would make a man out of me. But Mom got mad and I threw up. Then Dad got mad too.”

“Why is Dad angry this time, Joe?”

“Because I’m playing with my stuffed animals and not the army toys he bought me. He says that my toys are girly things and that I’ll end up a wuss if I keep playing with them. But I like them better than the army men he bought me.”

“And then what happened?”

“He took all my stuffed friends and put them in a trash bag. I yelled and screamed for him to stop. But he only hit me and then took the bag away. He told me he took them to the dump. And that I would go there too if I wasn’t going to try and be a man.”

“And then what?”

“I cried and he hit me. Then I didn’t cry anymore. I missed my stuffed animals, especially Mr. Bear. But they were girly things and I needed to be a man.”

“I think it’s time for you to wake up now, Joe. And on the count of three you will find yourself back in my office, relaxed and happy. One… two…three… Wake up, Joe.”

The man sighed and stretched, a slight smile on his face. “Do you remember what happened to you, Joe?” the doctor asked.

“Mmmm hmmm.” he said. “I sure do.”

“I think it would be for the best if you confronted your father about the past, in order to heal your present self from the destructive past.”

“I haven’t seen my dad in years.”

“Do you know where he lives, or know someone who does?”

“I think I can find him easily enough.” Joe said, getting up from the chair and shaking the doctor’s hand. “You’ve been a great help to me over the years, doctor. I’ll never forget that.”

“Shall I set up your next appointment for the same time next week?” she asked.

“Let’s just wait and see what happens.” Joe said, exiting the door. “I’ll call and let your know what happens with my dad and we can go from there.”

“I think that you’ve made a real breakthrough today.” she said. “You are always welcome in my office, Joe.”

The man in the military garb left her office and Doctor Caskins proceeded with the rest of her appointments that afternoon. At the end of the night, while setting aside the tapes of her sessions recorded that day, she smiled as she put Joe’s folder in order, wishing that she could help all of her clients as she had Joe.

A few days later the media ran a story of a recluse that had been shot to death in his home. He was a former military officer who was survived by his ex wife (who told anyone who asked that the madman had deserved it), and a son who could not be reached for comments. Only one witness had seen what had happened, but the police were investigating whether he had been under the influence at the time, since the man reported that the recluse had been killed by a gunman dressed as a teddy bear.

Doctor Caskins reviewed her phone messages in her office the next day. There were five from Joe, thanking her for his personal breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment