Thursday, July 14, 2011

After Party Cleanup

This is a work of fiction. No real people, places or events were used. Copyright ã 2011 Plot Roach.

After Party Cleanup

By Plot Roach

Frank snatched an empty beer can off of the seat of the couch, finding more of them under the cushions, behind the television and in the fish tank. There were slices of dried pizza everywhere and Frank did not want to even contemplate what the bedroom might look like, if the living room was any indication of the party Casey had thrown the night before.

Frank tripped over a box on his way to save his tropical fish from a bad hangover. “Warning! Cursed items!” was written in red across the main flap. When Frank tripped, he overturned the box, sending the contents sprawling across the trash laden floor. Among cigarette butts and crushed plastics cups were a couple of crystals, a copy of the Necronomicon and an odd looking stone. Last out of the box was a bill of sale from a company on Ebay. Frank laughed at the thought of Casey buying ‘cursed items’ off of an online auction. It was the only thing to lighten his mood.

He picked up the items and tossed them back into the box, telling himself that he would get even with Casey for trashing his apartment while he was away on a business trip. When Frank picked up the stone, he felt an odd chill run up his spine. He rolled it around in his hand, reluctant to let it go. The stone was unlike anything he had ever seen before. It looked like a rolled up silver colored armadillo, its joints flowing smoothly into one another like a puzzle created by God. It was the size of a softball but weighed heavier than a gallon of milk.

All these images flowed though Frank's mind as he felt a tap on one shoulder. "Excuse me." said a voice that reminded him of sandpaper on flesh. "But I believe that you have something of mine."

"Uh.." said Frank, he turned to face the owner of the voice while holding the ball to his chest like it was a small child in need of protection. "I found it on the floor."

"Yes", said the man, becoming more shadow than flesh by the moment. "I dropped it and it belongs to me."

"How do I know that it belonged to you?" he asked.

"Belongs." the man corrected. "It belongs to me."

"Not anymore." Frank said. "Finders keepers and all that..."

"You don't really believe in that, do you?"

"Then take it from me." Frank countered.

The man looked at him, two red pinpoints of light opening up where the man's eyes should have been. The shadow swirled in upon itself and all pretence dropped from the man like thing. When it drew itself up to full height, it was a head taller than Frank, and three times as thick. It was still man like and made of shadows, but in its shrouded darkness whispered things that could tear Frank’s soul to pieces, or at least make him have a very bad day.

"Return the ball to me, or face the consequences."

"What are you?" Frank asked. "Are you magical? A ghost, maybe a genie of some type, or?"

"It's the 'or'." it said. "And now I want my ball back."

"You can't make me, can you?"

"Don't tease me, mortal."

"What are you going to do about it?"

The eyes of the creature smoldered and smoke began to fill the room. Frank opened the door and turned on a fan. "Is that all you've got?"

"Please, give me back my ball." it pleaded, coming within an inch of Frank.

"Step back and chill a moment." Frank said. Immediately the shadowy form did as he asked, but seemingly under great strain. "Wait." Frank said. "Get back up again and go over to the corner." The spirit did as was bid and Frank laughed.

"You have to do as I tell you, don't you?" Frank asked. "Tell me the truth."

"Yes."

"Yes, what?"

"Yes, Master."

"What are you -and give me full details."

"I am the fourth Arch demon to the Lord of Darkness himself, Ruler of the Pit, Beloved of Darkness-"

"Enough." Frank commanded. "As long as I hold this you have to do as I say, don't you?"

"Yes, Master."

Frank smiled and gripped the ball tighter. He was going to have some fun with his new pet. And he knew just where to start. “Do you know a guy named ‘Casey?’”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment