Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kitty 17

I am participating in NANOWRIMO this year. I will attempt to post my daily ramblings in the hopes that eventually it will become a book which will entertain you as well as myself…

This is a work of fiction. No real people, places or events were used. Copyright ã 2011 Plot Roach.

Kitty Part 17

By Plot Roach

Kitty woke with the sound and jumped to her feet.

“Are you alright?” Shakes asked her, licking her muzzle to comfort her.

“Don’t touch me!” Kitty snarled. And before she could think, she bit the service dog hard on the neck. Unbelieving, the dog backed away from her. “But… I only wanted to make sure that you were okay…”

“Shakes…” Kitty dropped her eyes from the dog, not wanting to see the hurt look in his eyes. She had been immediately sorry for what she had done. It had been a reaction her body had to stifle when had been with the pack and Max had made his move upon her. I didn’t mean to hurt him, she thought. But as much as she wanted to apologize to the service dog, the cold hard part of her that had dictated her actions to keep her alive on the streets prevented her from doing it. To apologize was a weakness. And you could never show weakness if you wanted to live.

So she kept her jaws locked shut to keep the words in. As the golden retriever walked away, she tucked the feeling of guilt aside.

I’m a wild dog, she told herself. Not some tame little ‘pet’. She curled back under the table, though sleep was far from her mind. I have to think of a way out of here, she thought. And soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment